Woodland was put on the map in 1881 by C. C. Bozarth when in December of that year he built his 25 x 40 foot general store on the bank of the Lewis River and called the place “Woodland”.
Adolphus Lee Lewes was thought to be the first white settler in the area. He was born in Canada and arrived in the Oregon Territory on October 1, 1840. There has been confusion about the spelling of his last name. He was born Adolphus Lee Lewes somewhere along the way he became know as Adolphus Lee Lewis which you find widely used today.
On November 1, 1845, A.L. Lewes filed a Donation Land Claim for 319.45 acres starting on the claim his intention of becoming a naturalized citizen of the United States. His homestead was west of what is now Horseshoe Lake near the present Whalen & South Pekin roads. At the time the “lake” was a bend in the river named Cathapootle. After A.L. Lewes arrived it was renamed Lewis River and the homestead became known as “Lewis landing”.
In 1852 Adolphus and his half brother Fred Lee Lewes opened the first store on the Lewis River. It was known as the Oaks and was located about a mile below present Woodland on the river bank. they operated the store for 3 years.
In 1854 Jefferson Huff, from Indiana, opened the f irst area post office and a store at the end of Pekin Ferry Road. He named the area Pekin. Mail was delivered once a week by boat from Vancouver.
In 1861 the post office was moved across the river to the north side. It was built on stilts, because Pekin flooded every year. In had 16 postmasters between 1861 and its final closure in 1886.
In 1867 a man named Ennels Davs settled on the south shore of Pekin and until his death in 1888 operated a ferry called Pekin Ferry. George Maxwell, who married Davis’ daughter, Mary, continued the ferry after Davis’ death.
Woodland, Washington has been incorporated as a city since 1906. Known for its lush farming areas, close proximity to recreational forests and excellent fishing, Woodland has been a popular place to live, work and play for more than 100 years.